Thursday, May 19, 2011

A new view of cancer - proteomics and genomics

Genomics is the study of structure of your cells, organs, body. And the study of Genomics can sort of predict if you will likely have cancer or not. Basically, all you need to do is to look at your parents, siblings and your immediate relatives. Genomics says you if you look and analyse enough based on your likely relations inclination, you can sort of predict if you can get cancer or not (or any other ailments).

Here is my own story. Based on my blood type and also my human physiology, I had determined that I follow more my mother than my father (by the way, my other siblings followed my dad). My mum's brothers and sisters were cancer victims too. My mum was a cancer victim. So it was not surprising that I too was a cancer victim.

Well Genomics allows you to understand this which is very useful. Proteomic - study of interactions of proteins is more for new way of treatment for cancer. Conventional cancer treatment is like treating an  infectious disease, which Cancer is NOT. Conventional treatment treats the symptoms (I am not saying you should not treat the symptoms and in my case, it worked for me). Cancer is a failure of your own body system. All of us have cancer cells being developed in our own body, but our body's functions clears them effectively. Only when our own body functions malfunctions, cancer exhibits in tumours. Proteomics basically is the study of protein interactions and there is a effort to use Proteomics to map out model with specifics on cancer. Proteomics will map out what is wrong in your body specifically and then design the 'correct' treatment just for you. Basically, the treatment will be to support your own body to 'fight' off the cancer cells. So this approach will be less invasive, less destructive to the body and more effective treatment.

I really hope they are successful. Here is a video on Proteomics if you are interested in watching to it.
By the way, I am not a expert so listen to the experts explain this and I can assure you that it is very interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for posting your comments